Scion Presents: the Freshly Squeezed Web Design Challenge
SCION is a modern-thinking brand on the forefront of youth culture and innovation, known for engaging its consumers in an interactive quest for creative ideas. One of SCION’s trademarks is its support of organizations that also seek to connect with children and young adults in expressive, artistic ways.
In its mission to advocate community outreach and foster creativity in the younger generation, SCION now joins forces with Cut&Paste in the FRESHLY SQUEEZED Web Design Challenge (“Contest”). The website design competition will benefit J.U.i.C.E., a nonprofit weekly after-school program that allows the underprivileged youth of Los Angeles to express themselves artistically through dance, music, visual arts, and MC skills workshops.
As J.U.i.C.E. focuses its resources on programming and operations, they need your help: SCION’s new online competition, the FRESHLY SQUEEZED Web Design Challenge summons all web designers, illustrators, graffiti connoisseurs, coding geniuses, hip-hop enthusiasts, and creatives all around to help J.U.i.C.E. refine their online presence with a brand new homepage design. Web designs submitted for the competition should embody J.U.i.C.E.‘s urban aesthetic and youthful spirit, while adding to the site’s functionality as a user-friendly vehicle for communication. See Visual & Functional Requirements below for specific criteria.
The Grand Prize winner will receive a $5,000 prize courtesy of SCION. The winning design will be adopted by J.U.i.C.E. for its homepage and serve as an overall theme throughout their site.
During the contest period, designs submitted for FRESHLY SQUEEZED will be showcased in the contest’s online gallery for public viewing and commenting. After the submission period ends, all entries will continue to be featured in the online gallery as part of Cut&Paste’s permanent collection of online design competition work.
Visual & Functional Requirements
Submissions to FRESHLY SQUEEZED should present a redesign of the J.U.i.C.E. homepage. Contestants may submit their designs as screen shots in JPEG, GIF, or PNG files.
Entries must fulfill the following visual criteria for prize consideration:
- The existing J.U.i.C.E. logo must be used to scale.
- The visual style of the design should reflect the nature of J.U.i.C.E.’s philanthropic mission.
- Colors used in the design should express positive energy and convey a bright, cheerful spirit. All colors should be chosen for web use.
- Graphics may be used for global navigation buttons and prominent titles/headings. All other copy appearing in the body of the page should be HTML-based.
The following functionality and features must also be incorporated into the homepage design:
- Global navigation solutions for both the top navigation and footer.
- Space for news & announcements.
- Placement for a video clip/press feature.
- Mailing list sign-up.
- Placement for “volunteer now” feature.
- Easily accessible links to social networks (e.g. Facebook and MySpace)
- A feature area/leader board showcasing artwork & J.U.i.C.E.’s mission statement.
Format & Technical Specifications
- Site design must be HTML-based (no Flash).
- Page dimensions should not exceed 1024 × 768 pixels. The page must account for a minimum of 40-pixel margins on each side.
- All images/artwork used should be royalty-free and optimized for web usage.
FRESHLY SQUEEZED is open to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents age 18 or older. Teams, companies, and firms may submit entries, but group submissions must provide a primary contact that meets the eligibility criteria. Corporations and firms must have a Federal EIN and US address.
The contest is not open to any other individuals restricted by U.S. export controls and sanctions, and is void in any other nation, state or province where prohibited or restricted by U.S. or local law.
Contestants may submit their designs on http://scionjuice.cutandpaste.com during the entry period beginning February 20, 2009, and ending on May 8, 2009. All entries must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on May 8, 2009.
Grand Prize: $5,000
In addition to receiving $5,000, the Grand Prize winner will see his/her homepage design used to represent J.U.i.C.E. on its website. The winning design will also be featured in Cut&Paste’s online gallery. The Grand Prize winner will be announced in June 2009.
Judging & Selection
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Originality of concept
- Effective reinterpretation of J.U.I.C.E.’s ethos
- Quality of execution (both functional and aesthetic)
- Adaptability for use on interior pages
- Simplicity of page structure for easy updates
At the conclusion of the entry period, Cut&Paste will manage an initial vetting process to narrow the submissions down to 20 entries for the judges’ review. Each of these 20 entries will be scored by a distinguished panel of judges invited by Cut&Paste and J.U.i.C.E. Based on the judges’ scores, the top 5 submissions will be selected as finalists. A creative panel from J.U.i.C.E. will then evaluate the finalist entries and select one to be awarded the Grand Prize.
Entries submitted to the FRESHLY SQUEEZED WEB DESIGN CHALLENGE (“Contest”) must adhere to all rules, terms and conditions below.
- Contestants must meet all of the terms of eligibility.
- All submissions must be original works created no earlier than February 20, 2009.
- All submissions must utilize J.U.i.C.E.’s logo in scale.
- Any colors can be used, but they must be web-safe.
- All entries must be HTML-based (no Flash).
- All images/artwork used should be royalty-free and optimized for web usage.
- Entries should be submitted online as 72 dpi RGB files in JPEG, GIF, or PNG formats.
- Contestants may submit more than one entry.
- Entries may not be deleted, updated or modified after submission.
- Teams, companies, and firms may submit entries, but each submission must be accompanied by a primary contact who meets the eligibility criteria.
- Entries containing copyrighted material (without proper authorization or permission to use) are subject to disqualification and removal from the Cut&Paste contest website at the sole discretion of Cut&Paste, SCION or J.U.i.C.E.
- Entries containing any content that is pornographic in nature, lewd, prurient or sexually explicit will be disqualified and removed from the contest website.
- Cut&Paste, SCION and J.U.i.C.E. reserve the right to disqualify or remove any entries they deem in violation of the Rules or Terms & Conditions of the FRESHLY SQUEEZED Web Design Challenge, in its sole discretion.
- Employees and contractors of Cut & Paste LLC, SCION/Toyota and Optimedia International US, Inc. / Publicis Groupe and their respective affiliates and subsidiaries, the Contest’s participating sponsors and judges, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, cohabitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing in the same household whether or not related.
- Open to individuals who are at least 18 years of age as of February 20, 2009.
- The contest is void where any aspect of the contest is prohibited by law or where registration, bonding or translation is required.
- FRESHLY SQUEEZED is a contest of skill, creativity and ingenuity. Winning the contest is dependent on the quality of submissions received. This contest is not a game of chance. All decisions of Cut&Paste and J.U.i.C.E. are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this contest are hereby excluded, and all contestants hereby expressly waive any and all such rights.
Each contestant will be required to represent and warrant and agree to the following:
- By submitting an entry by a sole creator to a category (“Contestant Submission”), Contestant represents and warrants that Contestant is the sole designer, creator, and owner of the artwork (or “Contestant Submission”), including all visual and auditory components, or has permission to use copyrighted components, and further represents and warrants that the Contestant Submission does not contain information or elements considered to be confidential or proprietary. By submitting a Contestant Submission by a group of creators, the group of creators represent and warrant that they jointly designed, created, and rightfully own the visual and auditory artwork or have permission to use copyrighted components, and further represents and warrant that the Contestant Submission does not contain information or elements considered by Contestants’ place of business or any other third party to be confidential or proprietary.
- Further, Contestant represents and warrants that the posting of your Content on or through the Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, contract rights or any other rights of any person or entity. You agree to be responsible for securing all rights to post such Content and to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person because of any Content posted by you to or through the Services.
- By displaying or publishing or posting any Content on or through the Services, Contestant hereby grants to Cut&Paste, J.U.i.C.E. / Community Partners and SCION a perpetual, non-exclusive, fully-paid, royalty-free, sublicensable and worldwide license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, commercially benefit, reproduce, distribute and prepare derivative works of such Content. Contestant further agrees to execute and deliver any further legal instruments and perform any acts which are or may become reasonably necessary to effectuate this license. Further, the Grand Prize winner and Finalists may each will be required to execute a release and other documentation as deemed necessary in the sole discretion of Cut&Paste, J.U.i.C.E. / Community Partners and SCION.
The Grand Prize winner will be notified in advance of the winner announcement, which will be made during the Cut&Paste Global Championship event on June 20, 2009.
If you have any further questions regarding the FRESHLY SQUEEZED Web Design Challenge, feel free to contact us.